Tuesday, February 2, 2010

~Ground Hog Day~

I know a lot of people didn't like the Bill Murray movie, Groundhog Day, but I loved it! He stayed until he got it right ~ just like we all are doing in our own lives, I think........

Every time I hear Sonny & Cher lament "I got you Babe"..........I start laughing, but really that is why we are here, trying to help each other right? ~ I got you Babe, ...I got your back....I got your blindside....!

Ok, book of the month is another re-read ( I promise I'll get a new book for March ) but this is a winner!!! Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. My old copy is well marked in yellow highlighter. This read will be in pink~~ Here are just a few favorite quotes to wet your appetite:

"Everyone says forgiveness is a lovely idea, until they have something to forgive."

"When a man is getting better he understand more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him. When a man is getting worse he understands his own badness less and less."

"Love in this second sense - love as distinct from "being in love" - is not merely a feeling. It is a deep unity maintained by the will and deliberately strengthened by habit; reinforced by (in Christian marriages) the grace which both partners ask, and receive, from God. They can have this love for each other at those moments when they do not like each other. "

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said, would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg or else He would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, or spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about Him being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

"Good and evil both increase at compound interest. That is why the little decisions you and I make every day are of such infinite importance."

Just a sampling of this amazing author's insight. There are two men that I am excited to meet and talk to some day. The Apostle Paul of Tarsus and C. S. Lewis. I love they way they write and the use of words to express what is in their hearts.

Let's all read more during Punxsutawney Phil's six more weeks of winter prediction!

2 comments:

the Horton Hurricane said...

I'm going to start Amy's suggestion for me this week. I'm excited however our ward is reading the Book of Mormon again and we will be done in August remember the R.E.D read every day

Cathy Bubert said...

Beautiful!