Wednesday, March 31, 2010

~"Rough Stone Rolling"~

I'm reading a book which will take me more than just this month to read, since I'm only on pg 109 of over 600 pgs!. ..... but it is really interesting. The name of the book is "Rough Stone Rolling" It is written by ....I'm at work so I forgot his first name, last name Bushman and he is an LDS author/teacher who lives in New York. This is a cultural biography of Joseph Smith and the time he lived. You think by now you have heard every story there is about the Prophet but this book deals a lot with what the culture he lived in was like. I've also learned that it took over three years to have his leg heal from the surgery he endured while just a small boy. They sent him to the seashore to stay with some relatives for a time hoping he would regain his strength. He also limped a small bit throughout the remainder of his life from that ordeal. It has been interesting to hear how Lucy wanted a nice new frame home instead of the cabin and the clearing of a very very wooded area took everyone helping, the original farm was 100 acres of dense woods. The author presents facts and lets the reader figure out both the prejudices and support that Joseph received. This book is definitely not a fast read, but a very interesting one! I'll report more in April when I hopefully can finish the book.

Looking forward to Conference Weekend!!

1 comment:

the Horton Hurricane said...

I must say I'm shocked Mom it must be as you say because you have a reputation for reading quite quickly. I dont think you would even need to buy certain books just stand in Barnes and Noble and finish the book there.

Sounds like a good one who better to read about then Joseph Smith.