Monday, August 29, 2011

Speaking in Church.....

Yesterday, I had a very interesting experience speaking in sacrament meeting.  The lady that spoke before me wasn't there when the meeting started and I was getting pretty nervous about taking more than my allotted 15 minutes!!!~~~She arrived with her husband and adorable golden curled haired 2 year old son. They sat on the front row and when she came up to talk, so did her son.  He rode the railing at the pulpit, threw his shoes over the side, smiled, made faces, ran around in front of the bishopric - needless to say it was amazing to see that the father didn't ever offer to take him out.  The bishop leaned forward at one point to catch him, thinking he was going to fall, a counselor had to sit at the piano because he kept opening up the piano and playing it.  I didn't know this family and found out after the meeting what was going on, but needless to say the spirit was not there...............and I was getting a little nervous that they were going to let him be my companion when I got up to speak as well.!!

When she finished, the choir sang and she and her husband still did not try to reign him.  He kept coming up the stairs and running around the pulpit area.  I was getting quite interested in the reaction of the ward members.  From my vantage point I could see some getting a kick out of it, mainly the youth and some getting quite red-faced............ready to stand up and tell them "get your kid!".

When it was my turn to speak the father again picked up the little boy and they moved to the back of the chapel, where he proceeded to act up and eventually the mother took him out.  I completed my talk and felt a peaceful feeling that finally the spirit was there in our meeting.  When the meeting ended the Bishop came up to me and apologized saying, "Sister Jewkes, I'm so sorry.  This family has just become active again and are unaware obviously of how to help their little son~they told us recently on a home visit that "they do not believe in telling their son no.".......it all came together

.....spare the rod and spoil the child?....................Maybe just a little bit!!!

1 comment:

Cathy Bubert said...

Glad there was a happy ending to your story. I always seem to follow some emotional song which means I am crying before I even get to the pulpit :)