Monday, June 15, 2009

~Chocolate Water~

OK, I am giving an unreserved endorsement to "running the rapids"!!
Pictures will follow with Stacey & Jen's help getting them onto my website~

Listen up folks~~ this was FUN, FUN, FUN! I could have gone for three more days ! although the latrines were the downside. We took our youth to Swazey rapids on the Green River, which now is called Chocolate Water during the June snow run-off and YES it is very brown!

I don't know what I was expecting, but after going down them once, it was such an exhiliration that I could hardly wait to drive up the seven miles to launch again!! We left on thursday and the weather looked ominous until we reached Price and then the heavens opened with sunshine and it was only in the 80's the rest of the day, friday and saturday. After the all day friday ( we did three trips) we had a great fireside, smores and all and when I went to bed and looked up through the tent top to see all those twinkling stars, I had the sensation of being rocked to sleep like I was still on the river. The Kids who went on a cruise a couple of years ago said that is what it feels like after you have been on the water for a while. It wasn't unpleasant, put me into a wonderful sleep! The next day after breakfast we got one more run and then broke camp. I drove a Tahoe full of candy-jazzed girls home but we listened to great CD's so it made the trip fun!

This was a great experience to be out in nature again. It just felt wonderful to enjoy the beautiful vista of the desert mesa's shooting up from the river. I could almost imagine indians sitting up there watching our every move~~ ( smile ) I miss already the sound of that rushing water going by at night.

This was definately a break that buoyed up my spirit ~ so much fun to see how the kids were enjoying themselves without cell phones, IPODS or Game Boys!

2 comments:

the Horton Hurricane said...

getting out into nature is the best! I am so proud of you I swear you have gotten really brave Mom, you are such a great Young Womens President and those girls love you. I think we all should go on a family trip there how fun.

Stacey said...

I'm so glad you went, especially because I always try to talk you out of doing anything that might stress you out! I loved river rafting too. It's one of my favorite memories.

p.s. When your song "Wonderful World" starts playing, Pearl starts moving her arms in the air really slowly, and spins around.