Sunday, March 8, 2009

Are Prayers Answered?

A half century has come and gone since I appeared on this earth-scene.
I’ve learned that tender mercies come through the veil and in-between

Only now do I begin to understand some secrets are worth knowing.
That priceless faith-filled gifts are first the planting and then sowing.

You ask if prayers are answered with a heart and mind of doubt
The words are heart-filled, pleading, reverent without a shout

You’ve knelt before with sorrow, fear and urgent pleas
When finished, nice clear answers didn’t come while on your knees

So I will let you know what I have learned of prayer thus far
No pretense talk, but honest heart will always reach that star.

Desire alone without the work of yearning to reach a home-
Many times on bended knee you’ll speak but feel alone

Your faith will grow into a trust that builds upon a truth
Into a newly entered realm, a private sacred booth

And hope for things not seen communicate to soul
No price too high for that peace now, you’ll gladly pay the toll.

Time passes on and answers come but “soon-answered prayers” are rare.
Your look back will include Grace, Love, Peaceful wondrous aware

Your plan and His will often go on different paths you see
But He is with you, arms surround while on a bended knee.

The miracles are large and small and seem too much for me.
An answered prayer rescues my fear and no more I ---but We.

Just when my step shows no more light and darkness in the sky,
And feeling I am not alone, His loving rescue lets me fly!

3 comments:

the Horton Hurricane said...

Mom, you are so amazing that poem is just what I needed today. I love you and I'm going to park my car at your house while I am gone alright.

Stacey said...

Sheila, I'm so glad you are sharing your poems on this blog. You have such a gift for writing, and we love you!

cathy bubert said...

Sheila, thanks for sharing your gift for writing on your blog. This poem especially touched me! You are a great example to me.